By Alexandra Donaldson My hair has always been a sponge…
There’s a reason why fragrance is a go-to gift for the woman in your life—it’s deeply personal, luxurious and something many don’t indulge in for themselves on a regular basis. With Mother’s Day on Sunday, we decided to assemble a top-ten list of spritzes that will charm the moms in your life, no matter their taste.
1. Prada Candy, $96 (50 ml), www.prada.com If your special someone knows her Miu Miu from her Marni and is as apt to wear neon chartreuse as designer black, this break-the-mould, gourmand will be the perfect sweet-meets-savoury treat for her.
2. Dolce & Gabbana Pour Femme EDP, $95 (50 ml), www.dolce gabbana.com For the lingerie-loving, super-feminine, fresh-flower fan in your life, this blossom and marshmallow-infused fragrance will tickle her positively pink.
3. Chanel Coco Noir, $158 (100 ml), www.chanel.com Her dressing table: Is it black and white and Parisian-chic all over? Did she love Black Swan as much as Skyfall? Then this richly romantic, classic, spicy-woody-floral spritz will most definitely please her.
4. Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire, $90 (50 ml), www.guerlain.com Does your main squeeze or BFF have a thing for French macaroons and bubbly? Does she know her Manolos from her Roger Viviers? Well then, get thee to a Guerlain counter and pick up this insouciant scent. It’s charming, sexy and modern.
5. Balenciaga Florabotanica EDP, $115 (100 ml), www.balenciaga fragrance.com Is she still mourning the exit of Nicolas Ghesquière (even if you’re not sure who that is)? Does she have a thing for black leather and very very good boots. Yes? This floral-with-edge perfume will please her eye and stylish soul.
6. Chloe L’Eau de Chloe EDT, $105 (100 ml), www.chloe.com She likes her fragrances light and her music upbeat. She is a romantic with just a titch of Bohemian in her heart, yet she’s practical too. But make no mistake, this elegant and airy, rose-laced and lemonade-infused chypre will completely charm her.
7. Oscar de la Renta Essential Luxuries in Sargasso, $150 (100 ml), www.oscardelarenta.com She is a classics-loving, gold-jewellery-wearing, little black dress-devoted, bouquet-of-roses kind of woman, and as such she will swoon for one of Oscar de la Renta’s perfumes in his Essential Luxuries collection. Choose from warm and aquatic Sargasso to plush white-floral Mi Corazon.
8. Byredo Black Saffron, $235 (100 ml), www.byredo.com, www.holtrenfrew.com She has a thing for cashmere, fine leather and the perfect pair of jeans. Chic, cosmopolitan, cultured: This perfume is for her. And because she will want to know, this spritz holds notes of Asian pomelo and juniper berries, saffron and black violet, leather, rose, wood, raspberry and Haitian vetiver.
9. Tom Ford Café Rose, $225 (50 ml), www.tomfordbeauty.com If she has first dibs on the fashion and beauty section of the paper—and the real estate and décor sections too by the way—then Mr. Ford’s floral fantasy has her name written all over it. In gifting this unusual and rich perfume (or one of the other in its Jardin Noir collective) you’ll win points for recognizing her exquisite taste and for sparing no expense.
10. Hermès L’Ambre des Merveilles, $120 (50 ml), www.hermes.com If her style icons run from Jackie O to J.Crew’s Jenna Lyons and she loves her classic perfumes but would never want to be predictable, this warm and elegant scent—the fifth in the Merveilles fragrance family—will sate her every scent desire.
Previous Post: Mother’s Day Fragrance Gift Sets